Saturday, June 26, 2010

Why I Am Doing This

One of the speakers told us the other day that teaching is hard, and that we will want to give up at times. But, if we think about why we are really here, and if we can find the thing that drives us, that we won't let go of no matter what, we will get through it and be all right.

So, to remind myself of why I am in Baltimore with TFA, here is my application essay. If I ever am having a hard time, please help me remember this:


There is an idea in this country that all men are created equal. Walking the streets of D.C. on election night 2008 made me understand just how powerful this idea is. Of course, because Lebron James exists, I know that “created equal” really means equality before the law and a right to equal opportunity. That is enough, though, as these principles form our meritocracy. But due to the inequalities of the current educational system, many kids are denied competitive footing to run the race of life. By luck of the draw, they have opportunities taken away, and the meritocracy becomes a sham to them. It is America’s duty to fix its education system if it is to fulfill its own ideal. I hope to help by becoming a teacher and making good on our nation’s promise.

I recognize that I am more lucky than special since this nation’s promise was fulfilled for me. Though confident in my abilities, I certainly know that others could do what I am doing given the same chances that I was and am blessed with. To be where I am took a combination of hard work (not just mine alone) and a good amount of luck. Working for four years with underserved youth at UniCamp, UCLA’s official student charity, reinforced this point. The hundreds of kids I came across were all bright, enthusiastic, and full of potential. They were just not as lucky to have gone to a good public school. Dumb luck should not determine future opportunities so early in a child’s life.

If allowed the opportunity to be a part of Teach for America, I will of course understand that at day’s end I am evaluated by the numbers and on whether or not my students are learning what they need to know. However, looking back, I remember my teachers collectively as my third parent, and was fortunate to have had great ones. What they were to me is what I wish to be for my students. In addition teaching them, I hope to challenge and guide them toward a life of curiosity and learning. If I can effectively teach my students, if they realize their own potential, and if they push themselves to attain their biggest dreams, then I will have succeeded.

In the end, I am motivated by an unshakeable belief that every child deserves the opportunity to have life dictated by his or her own choices, not zip code. Luck should not have the same role in life as in the lottery. Great teachers in classrooms change that equation, and I hope to be that change. Since I am lucky enough to have been given a life of choices and opportunities, I will choose to make sure others get the same. That is why I hope to become a 2010 Teach for America corps member.

1 comment:

  1. As to my experience, the teacher is not the one to give, usually he is the one to receive. He owns unbeatable will to observe, understand and take actions to help kids to see the inner precious features of themselves which have been existing since the day they were born. Try your best ssisting them to believe it , love it and live with it.

    But do not forget you are just a tool, a media and you happen to be a wonderful man they meet in their early stage of lives. I believe your journey in East will bring you a diamond. Good luck ! Buddha bless you.

    ReplyDelete