Sunday, October 24, 2010

Nothing Thoughtful.

Some funny stuff happened on Friday:

  • Someone from TFA came in to take a picture of my classroom. The kids were taking a test, and it had already taken a little while to settle them down. Just when they were getting into their groove, the office called to tell me she had arrived, disrupting the class twice, and so they started to get antsy. Then someone came to the door and opened it, but didn't walk in, which made the kids start to yell, "Who's that? Who's there? The door is open!" Other students started to walk through the hall, which added even more noise to the class (we don't have real walls). Then, the TFA lady walked in, and the boys lost it. "That girl is HOT!" We got through the test, though.
  • A girl raised her hand to ask a question. The boy sitting next to her turned to look and recoiled in horror. "MR. LYU! Why do girls grow hair under their arms?!?!?" "Uh... come talk to me after class and I can explain it to you."
  • I told the class that if anyone can beat me at a 60-problem multiplication facts timed test, I will pay him or her $5. If I beat a challenger, they have to do two multiplication worksheets. After school, I got seven challengers. They called me a cheater because there's no way anyone can do them that fast. Yeah. I'm schooling 9 year-olds at multiplication. I feel so cool.
On a related note, when we took our first timed test at the beginning of the year, a girl in my class got ONE in two minutes. Friday, she got 29 in two minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment