Wednesday, August 4, 2010

End of Institute: Successes.

It ended well. Our students made 103% growth on reading and 80% on math. My one student never showed up to class again, but on that last day I had a conversation with him in the morning that went like this:

"Hello?" He was still sleeping.
"This is Mr. Lyu. Are you going to be able to come into school today?"
"No. My mom got the flat tire fixed but she didn't have enough money for gas."
"All right. Tell you what. We need you to prove to everyone what you know about math. You and I both know that you know a lot, but no matter what you're going to have to show them. Do you have paper and pencils at home?"
"Yes."
"You have ten minutes. Go wash your face and get ready to take a test. We're going to read it to you over the phone."
"OK."
Ten minutes later, my group partner read the test to him and he took it over the phone. Of course some things were lost in translation, but from a pre-score of 13%, he ended with 60%. I told him the results after, and you could see the smile through the phone. I wonder if he could see ours.

2 comments:

  1. What? I didn't cry from this blog post. Nope...Keep it up, Jeff! You're my hero right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job~~~I see my smile.

    ReplyDelete